Sources of Power in Organisations
Based on Morgan G (1989)
Images of Organisations;
The "power" within an organisation may not always rest with the "boss".
The following sources of power can provide organisation members with a variety
of means for enhancing their interests and smoothing over or creating
- formal authority
- use of organisational structure, rules and regulations
- ability to cope with uncertainty
- interpersonal alliances, networks, and control of "informal organisation"
- symbolism and the management of meaning
- gender and the management of gender relations
- structural factors that define the stage of action
- the power one already has
- control of
|knowledge and information|