Reacting to Conflict
Based on Pugh D S, Hickson D J & Hinings C R (1971)
Writers on Organizations;
Fred and Charlie disagree.
The disagreement can be viewed as a problem in need of solution.
Three main attitudes to this problem solving situation can be identified, and
each has three variations .
1. engage in a win/lose power struggle
2. refer to a third party for judgement
3. allow a stalemate and thus "fate arbitration"
4. one party gives up and withdraws
5. the parties isolate themselves from each other
6. everyone puts on a show of indifference
7. preserve harmony by stressing common interests
8. compromise, or use bargaining for mutual accomodation
9. find a positive resolution to the point(s) of difference
Note: (7) and (8) "blur" the problem, only (9) actually "solves" it.